Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Tabby Teenager


A welcomed guest arrived last weekend. She was able to enjoy our porch for a short while, soaking in the sun and getting some sustenance from outside feeder bowls of cat chow and water. I'm not sure how long the yellow tabby teenager was at peace on our porch, but it certainly came to a sudden halt when I opened the door to let out Papa Puss and for me to enjoy some reading time outside.

A low-pitched, menacing "Grrrooowwwl" comes from Papa as soon as he turns the corner. At first, I'm not sure what the problem is until I see a yellow tail peeking out from under the table. I should have known it must have been another creature invading his kitty space.  Papa chased the enemy away, but for me...I have wanted a feral feline to happen upon my home in a bad way.

My husband and I have cared for and loved three kitties over the last 16 years. Two of them are now buried on the property. I have gone through several cycles of desperately wanting to adopt a kitten, but then I think after Papa leaves this earth, perhaps we should take a break and not have a pet. My hubby definitely is in that mindset. "No more cats. I need a break," he voices to me. "I just want to leave for a weekend, week or two, and NOT have to be concerned about a cat that we've left at home."

I get it, but on the other hand, I CANNOT imagine living in THIS home without a furry friend that I can come home to. As I type this Slice of Life, Papa Puss is faithfully by my side, purring softly. He's an old gent, many years have gone by, but we've always had cats (three, two, then one). What a quiet joy they have brought to our home. To not have their presence and energy around, I'm not sure if I would feel the same about living here.

I'm hoping the tabby teenager will return and not be a guest, but a permanent resident of the Sakemiller household.

Okay, now that I'm in official "kitty mode" check out these videos that make me smile:

Zen cat with frog                  Kitty meets bearded dragon           

 Zen Kitties


No comments:

Post a Comment